AMERICAN FEDERATION OF GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES, AFL-CIO
DIRECT IMPACT OF FURLOUGH ON ME AND OTHER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES
• Up to 22 days out of work with no pay, equivalent to a 20% pay cut
• Reduced contribution to Thrift Savings Plan retirement account
• Reduced take-home pay due to deduction of health insurance benefits at full salary rate
• Lost accrual of annual and sick leave while on furlough
• More work for everyone as co-workers are furloughed and vacancies go unfilled
HOW SEQUESTRATION WILL IMPACT MY NEIGHBORS AND FRIENDS
• Major blow to nation’s economic recovery, resulting in loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs
• Jeopardizes military readiness, response to homeland security threats and emergency preparedness
• Large cutback in food safety inspections, causing meat and poultry prices to spike
• Longer waiting times at airports, Social Security offices, border crossings
WHAT I SHOULD DO
Contact my representatives and senators and urge them to stop sequestration. Call AFGE’s hotline at 1-888-775-3148 to be connected directly to their offices.
Notify my union shop steward immediately if I am given a furlough notice (notices would go out 30 days before furlough begins)
Determine if I qualify for unemployment compensation by reviewing my state’s requirements at http://www.servicelocator.org
Keep up to date with the latest news on sequestration and furloughs at http://www.theycutyoupay.org
Stop Sequestration Now!
Let’s be honest – sequestration is just plain stupid. It would slash funding across the board for nearly every federal account, with no regard to how that will harm vital programs and services.
We’ve got to stop it.
That’s why we need you to call both of your senators and your representative right now. Yes, we’re asking you to make three calls. But it will only take a few minutes, and that’s what it’s going to take to win this fight.
Call each of your three lawmakers toll free at 1-888-775-3148. Follow the prompts to be connected directly to your lawmakers’ offices. Leave the following message with the receptionist:
“My name is _________ and I’m calling from _________ (give your city). Please tell the senator (or representative) to stop the sequester right now. And ask the senator (or representative) to do so by asking the very rich, big corporations and Wall Street to pay their fair share. No more cuts for the working Americans who have already sacrificed enough. Thank you for taking my call.”
Again, don’t forget to call both of your senators and your representative. Thanks for making your calls and for helping to stop the sequester madness.