High school seniors and college students are invited to compete for a $1,000.00 scholarship on the essay topic:
“What do you see as the greatest threat to the environment today and what are your ideas or solutions on how the threat can be removed?
1. A high school senior or college student with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) based on a 4.0 GPA scale is eligible to apply. A copy of most recent report card or unofficial/official transcripts would be needed to verify CGPA.
2. A photocopy of a valid school identification of current enrollment.
3. A letter of recommendation from a school official (counselor, teacher, principal, Dean of Students, etc.).
4. A 1,000 words, double-spaced, typed essay on the topic: “What do you see as the greatest threat to the environment today and what are your ideas or solutions on how the threat can be removed?”
5. Applicants or their parents must be members of AFGE Local 704.
Participants need to complete a the AFGE Local 704 Scholarship Application, submit a letter of recommendation from a school official, and to prepare a 1000 word, double- spaced, typed essay on the topic.
The completed application and other required documents must be submitted and postmarked by May 7, 2017 to:
AFGE Local 704
Attention: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 0799
Chicago, IL 60690-0799
The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) ® is the largest federal employee union that offers legal representation, legislative advocacy and other services to government workers nationwide and overseas. AFGE Local 704 has established five $1000.00 scholarships to provide financial support to 12th grade high school students or college students who desire to excel in their educational career.