1,000 Word Essay
What would you say to legislators to defend today’s environmental issues (ex: climate change, air toxics emission, water contamination)? What action(s) would you take to bring this important environmental issue to legislation attention?
- A high school senior with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) based on a 4.0 weighted GPA or college student enrolled in a 2-year or 4-year college/university with a least a 2.75 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) based on a weighted 4.0 GPA scale is eligible to apply. A copy of the most recent report card or official transcripts would be needed to verify CGPA.
- A clear photocopy of a valid school identification of current school enrollment.
- A letter of recommendation from a School Official (counselor, teacher, principal, Dean of Students), community involvement leader or church official.
- A 1,000-word, double-spaced, typed essay on the following question.
- The applicant or a parent/legal guardian must be a member of AFGE, Local 704.
- Awards are for tuition and school expenses for one school year only. Applicants are not eligible if they have received two prior scholarship awards.
Complete the AFGE Local 704 2019 Scholarship Application (PDF) and send other required documents by close of business on Friday, May 17, 2019:
- by email to – firstname.lastname@example.org
- by mail to – AFGE Local 704, Scholarship Committee P.O. Box 0799, Chicago, IL 60690-0799
All information will be kept confidential.
AFGE Local 704, Scholarship Committee
The winners will be notified by Friday, June 7, 2018 by the Scholarship Committee. Thank You for your participation.
The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) ® is the largest federal employee union that offers legal representation, legislative advocacy and other services to government workers nationwide and overseas. AFGE Local 704 has established five $1000.00 scholarships to provide financial support to 12th grade high school students or college students who desire to excel in their educational career.