“What would you say in defending a citizen’s rights to a clean and healthy environment and what efforts would you recommend to influence legislators or the public to take action to address environmental concerns that will achieve accountability and restoration?”
- A high school senior or college student with at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) based on a 4.0 GPA scale is eligible to apply. A copy of most recent report card or unofficial/official transcripts would be needed to verify CGPA.
- A photocopy of a valid school identification of current enrollment.
- A letter of recommendation from a school official (counselor, teacher, principal, Dean of Students, etc.).
- A 1,000 word, double-spaced, typed essay on the essay topic stated above.
- Applicants are not eligible if they have received two prior scholarship awards.
- The applicant or a parent/legal guardian must be a member of AFGE, Local 704.
Participants need to complete the AFGE Local 704 2018 Scholarship Essay Competition Application (PDF) and other required documents that must be mailed by close of business on Friday, May 18, 2018 to the following address:
AFGE Local 704
Attention: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 0799
Chicago, IL 60690-0799
All information will be kept confidential. For additional information, contact AFGE Local 704, Attention: Shari Holloway, Chair, Scholarship Committee at 312-886-6778 or email@example.com
The winners will be notified by Friday, June 8, 2018 by the Scholarship Committee.
The American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) ® is the largest federal employee union that offers legal representation, legislative advocacy and other services to government workers nationwide and overseas. AFGE Local 704 has established five $1000.00 scholarships to provide financial support to 12th grade high school students or college students who desire to excel in their educational career.